Dave's Allotment

Monday, October 23, 2006

Planting Raspberry Canes

Trench ready for manure

The main job at the allotment this weekend was to plant out some new Raspberry Canes that I'd ordered. First I dug a trench in the soil that was about 2 spades wide by a spade deep (see above). I then filled this trench with manure, as apparently Raspberrys like a good rich soil to grow in. I then raked the soil back over the top of the trench so it was level again.

The Raspberry Canes

I ordered 10 canes of Polka Raspberrys from Kings Seeds (although I only got sent 9 canes!). They are an Autumn variety, so they should compliment my existing Summer Raspberrys that I already have on the other plot. The idea being that it should extend my growing season of Raspberrys, giving me a supply of them for a much longer period. The canes were delivered as bare-roots (see above) bundled in a large brown paper sack.

The Raspberry Canes Planted

I planted them in a row into the prepared ground where the manure-filled trench was, with their roots spaced out as best I could. There is some weed suppressing material next to them (on the left of the photo above), which will form a permanent path.

The plot with covers on

This is how the back half of the newer plot looks now, with several piece of black plastic covering the ground for the winter. The courgette plants are just to the right of where the above photo was taken, and they are still producing courgettes - picked another 3 this weekend. I also picked some more Rocket, Broccoli, Raspberrys (from the summer varitety!) and finally pulled up the last of the carrots.

5 Comments:

  • Dave, Petunia put me in contact as I've a question about butternut squash and see you blogged about it on Oct 2nd - how much space should I leave between plants and are they happy to trail over black landscape fabric?

    As to raspberries - I've had good success with Autumn Bliss (still giving some fruit as we haven't had a frost yet!)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:23 PM  

  • Hi John, I guess it probably depends a bit on which variety you grow. I found that the butternuts I grew this year didn't spread themselves out as much as the other squashes. But I would still suggest you leave at least a meter in all directions between plants - or more if you have the space. They really do send out long trails. Some of my other squashes had trails stretching out 5 meters in several directions! It didn't seem to matter having them too close though - they still grew ok, it was just hard watering them when you can't see each individual plant. But yeah - growing over black fabric should be fine.

    By Blogger Dave, at 3:44 PM  

  • I planted bare rooted autumn raspberries this time last year, but lost a lot of them during the dry summer. As they do most of their growing in the late summer /autumn, by next spring/early summer they won't yet have a very extensive root run. If it is as dry as it was this year, then they will need a heck of a lot of water to keep them going until they become more established next autumn.
    A lesson that I learned to my cost as I neglected to water mine enough!

    By Blogger Greenmantle, at 5:02 PM  

  • Thanks for the advice Greenmantle - I will make sure I give them pleanty of water next summer!

    By Blogger Dave, at 9:00 AM  

  • Hi Dave....that look some serious prep for the rasps...i did the same and took about a year to settle in but then fruit like mad. Worth all the effort. Nice blog and nice lottie. :-)

    By Blogger Ziggywigs, at 4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home