Dave's Allotment

Monday, August 21, 2006

August update

Squash Plants

Time to write an update on what's been happening at the allotment over the past few weeks. The 'new' plot is completely over-run by the squash plants (see above). I've removed a few trailing off-shoots to try and keep it under control, but it's still a jungle. We are going to end up with so many squashes! A few weeks back I sowed Winter Cabbages (Regency) in seed trays at home in the plastic-greenhouse and this weekend I planted them out at the allotment. I've planted about 20 of them and then used hoops and netting to protect them from the birds (see below).

Winter Cabbages

I also this weekend planted a Rhubarb plant (Champagne) on the 'new' plot (see below left). I've put it in one corner of the plot, which required me to dig over the area and add a load of manure.

Rhubarb Butternut Squashes

The Butternut squashes (above right) are starting to ripen now and the Sweet Dumpling squashes (below left) of which there are hundreds are also either ripe or ripening. I have over 10 pumpkins (from 4 plants) with some being completely orange and others still green (see below right).

Sweet Dumpling Squashes Pumpkins

The Asparagus bed on the 'new' plot is doing really well, with about 3 shoots from each crown. Another job I've done this month is to start training the runners from the Strawberry plants into pots of compost (see below right) - ready for transplanting them. I plan to start a new Strawberry bed on the 'new' plot once the tomato plants have finished.

Asparagus Bed Strawberrys

I recently pulled the fleece tunnels off the carrots to weed them (see below left) - they're doing exceptionally well and the thinings we've had so far have been very good quality. The leeks (below right) are also starting to grow quite well, although I must try and sow them earlier next year.

Carrots inside the tunnels Leeks

After thinking that the Parsnips had been a complete disaster, I now have about 10 of them (below left) - poor compared to the normal quantity but better than I expected a couple of months back. They've been incredibly slow, with just a few germinating long after I'd given up hope. The second-cropping potatoes that I planted out 3 weeks ago have now started showing through the surface (see below right) which is encouraging. So overall, it's looking good and been a busy few weeks.

Parsnips Potatoes

I managed to pick up some black weed matts (1.5m x 10m) from Tesco at the weekend, reduced to just £1.22 each - so I bought 8 of them! That, combined with my existing ones, should allow me to cover all unused parts of both plots over the winter, stopping any weeds growing and saving time next Spring.

7 Comments:

  • Great Blog....what did you make the hoops out of? Look very handy to have.

    By Blogger Ziggywigs, at 12:49 AM  

  • Thanks Ziggywigs. I didn't make the hoops - they're part of the cloche-tunnels that I bought really cheapily from Lidls a few months back. They were £1.99 each tunnel - with enough poles to make about 8 hoops, plus clear plastic to drape over them. So far I haven't used them as cloches, I've just used the hoops for my netting or fleece.

    By Blogger Dave, at 11:23 AM  

  • Great idea, i must look out for these cloches myself as it seems very good. I wondered about using alkathene water pipe but it might be a be too resistant to bending easily. :-)

    By Blogger Ziggywigs, at 1:26 AM  

  • Your squashes are looking very healthy. The leaves on mine have started to die back a bit and some have that powdery mildew on them.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:08 PM  

  • Thanks Leonie. A few of mine have some white mildew leaves too. It never seems to cause a problem though.

    By Blogger Dave, at 9:19 AM  

  • Would your recommend the landscape mats over black plastic? I have a lot of large perennial and annual weeds that have seeded in an unused corner of an old vegetable garden that I want to refurbish for next spring.

    By Blogger Kati, at 4:33 AM  

  • Hi Kati, I'm not sure what you mean about landscape mats. I just use the black polythene sheets to cover areas of the plot that aren't currently being used. It stops the weeds growing. As you'll see in the next post I'm about to make on this blog, I cover the ground over autumn/winter if there's nothing growing in it, then un-cover it in the spring when I want to plant in it. I've never found the need to put anything else over the black plastic.

    By Blogger Dave, at 10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home