Dave's Allotment

Friday, October 06, 2006

Sowing Broad Beans

Broad Beans sown in newspaper pots

Last night I sowed some Broad Beans (Aquadulce Claudia) into small pots made out of recycled newspaper. This is the first time I've used a Paper Potter to make my own biodegradable pots. It's really easy and seems like a great idea. You just cut lengths of newspaper, use the Paper Potter to form minature pots, then fill them with compost and add a seed. The idea is that when the seedlings are ready to be planted out, you just bury the newspaper pot in the ground and the roots will push through the bottom and the pot will disintegrate. That way you don't disturb the roots when you plant them out. I'm a little worried that the newspaper will just get too wet and collapse before I get around to planting them out - but we'll see how it works. If it's successful I will probably use these kind of pots for all kinds of seeds next year.

I sowed 60 beans, one per pot, and then placed the pots in seed tray inserts - just as a convenient way to keep them upright. I've then placed the trays in my plastic mini greenhouse on the patio, zipped up to keep the cold off them. Assuming they succeed - I will plant the seedlings out on the allotment in a few weeks time when they're big enough. Hopefully this will give them a good head start and provide some early Broad Beans in the Spring.

7 Comments:

  • I`v enjoyed reading your blog we have had the same problem at my site , veggies going walkies ...some people seem to think allotment are help your self green-grocers

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:05 PM  

  • That's such a good idea!I think I'll try it:)

    What?..I worry about Squirrels and Rabbits..You have People stealing?Oh..Thats low..How do they get in?..Remember..I live in Cali lol :p

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:20 AM  

  • Yeah it was really quite upsetting to find somebody had pulled up my potatoes. They were late cropping ones that weren't even ready yet - so they completely wasted them for me. A couple of other people had things stolen too. I guess they either climbed over the fence or had a key from when they used to have an allotment themeselves.

    By Blogger Dave, at 10:21 AM  

  • That's dispicable my Dad had his pumpkins stolen last week from his allotment and my 3 yr old is gutted she was looking forward to them for Halloween

    By Blogger welsh girls allotment, at 11:53 AM  

  • That's really sad. Did you have to buy her one to make up for it?

    By Blogger Dave, at 11:55 AM  

  • I had a friend staying from France who was absolutely amazed that we can have an allotment and that everything didn't walk. And I had to pick her up off the floor after she saw a roadside veg stall with an "honesty" box for payment!
    So.....I think we are still lucky enough to live amongst mostly decent people.....and better off than the French. France may be presented as idyllic, but obviously not in a morally superior way. (Difficult to word that without giving offence somewhere, but it came from a Frenchwoman!)
    If it makes you feel any better why not imagine that the veg are being stolen by someone who really needs them....that way you can view it as charitable giving!

    By Blogger lilymarlene, at 2:34 PM  

  • Yeah my wife said the same, about them going to someone who needed them more than us. The only thing is - the potatoes that got pulled up were almost too small to be used because they weren't ready yet and they left the leek behind - so I'm not convinced they even took any vegetables home with them to eat. Such a waste.

    By Blogger Dave, at 11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home