The Autumn

Despite it being well and truly Autumn, mid-October, the Summer Raspberries which had practically died off a few weeks ago have had a new surge of life and started fruiting again! (see above). I suppose that wouldn't be surprising if they were Autumn Raspberries, but this is exceptionally late for a Summer variety. Further evidence of a milder than normal Autumn is shown by the Strawberry plants, which are also starting to develop new fruits again! (see below left). The Onions that I planted last weekend have already started to send up shoots (see below right) which is a good sign.

I gave the Leeks a well-needed weed this weekend (see below). I haven't picked any yet, but a few of them are a decent enough size now, so I will probably pick some soon. I picked a load more carrots, nearly pulled up all of them now, and had probably the last of the spinach and spring onions.

The Winter Cabbages are doing really well (see below) so I picked the first one. They're a strange almost cone-like shape, but look great. I'm keeping them netted over to prevent the pigeons eating them.

Over on the new plot it was time to start putting things to bed for the winter. I picked the last remaining squashes and then pulled up of all the dead squash plants and added them to the compost heap. I also pulled up the dead tomato plants and then covered all of those areas with black plastic to stop the weeds growing over the winter (see below).

This plot still has courgette plants in it, and they're still slowly producing courgettes. Yet another strange sign for this time of year is a pumpkin plant that had completely died, now growing again, sending out new flowers and even forming a new tiny pumpkin! (see below). I doubt it will come to anything as it will get attacked by the frost before long. But I didn't have the heart to pull it up just yet.



8 Comments:
All looking good Dave - we seem to be mirroring each other working up our respective allotments - glad to see such an enthusiast
By
Anonymous, at 7:45 AM
Thanks Allotment Lady - I see you've had some strawberrys this week too!
By
Dave, at 9:06 AM
Oh gosh, should mine be looking like this????
AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!
By
mrsnesbitt, at 9:45 AM
Really good blog and a great looking lottie you have...i was really interested to know what shelving you used for your pumpkins?
By
Ziggywigs, at 12:24 AM
Thanks Zigs, you're very kind. My pumpkins? They're just sat on a couple of old pieces of wood on the floor of the garage. I just layed a few strips of wood on the floor, with a couple of other pieces crossing them at right angles. Then popped the pumpkins on top. The idea was just to raise them up slightly so that air could get all around them.
The squashes on the other hand are in one of those mini plastic greenhouses that you can buy for about £12 - only, without the clear plastic covering on it. They're perfect as storage shelves for squashes, although the pumpkins may have been a little too heavy for them.
By
Dave, at 10:10 AM
My pumpkin regrew from dead too....but I was more heartless than you and pulled it up as I wanted to get the Autumn digging done.
By
lilymarlene, at 2:13 PM
I should probably pull it up, it'll only die as soon as the frosts arrive. But I still can't quite bring myself to yet!
By
Dave, at 11:33 AM
Excellent site, keep up the good work
By
Anonymous, at 3:59 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home