Manure

Yesterday I had two large tractor loads of Manure delivered by a local farmer. One load on each of my two plots. It has been dumped on an empty patch at the end of each plot (see above and below) until I'm ready to use it.

While I was at the allotment I also picked 6 pumpkins that were fully ripe. They are now stored in the garage at home (see below). There are another 3 pumpkins still on the plot which aren't quite ripe yet, so hopefully there will be enough sunshine over the next few weeks to ripen those as well. We've already picked and eaten 2 pumpkins this years, so that makes a total of 11 pumpkins from four plants.

Unfortunately I discovered that somebody had pulled up several potatoe plants and a couple of leeks. Thankfully there are still pleanty more of both, so I'm just hoping I don't get any more damage or theft.
The Onions, Shallots and Garlic I ordered a few months ago have now arrived (see below). Although I didn't have enough time to plant them this weekend, I pulled up the french bean and sweetcorn plants and dug over that area ready for planting out the onions next time I visit the allotment. I also added the last of my previous years manure to the ground in the hope that I might get a better crop on onions next year.

Also in the garage at home are the squashes that I picked last weekend. They look fantastic on the shelves and we've already eaten several of them.I've already started looking in seed catalogues to find some different squash varietys to try next year. We'll definitely grow the Festival (orange/yellow stripe) squashes again, and some kind of Butternut variety, but won't bother with the Sweet Dumpling (green/white stripe) ones as they're not as nice as the Festivals. I was also pleased to discover that although some of the Butternuts had blemished skins, they were absolutely fine inside.


9 Comments:
Just popped up to say how much I enjoy reading your blog - but haven't left any comments yet.
Where did you order your onions from?
I love your Festival squashes - I must definitely put them on my list next year - are the seeds easy to come by?
Seeing your shelves in your garage - gave me an idea for using the staging in my little plastic cheapo 'greenhouse' - mine will store lovely on that.
By
Anonymous, at 10:00 PM
What a great display!! That's crazy cool looking:)I have pics of my sad pumpkins.Yours look so nice:)
haha More manuer huh?? eww It smells so bad.Good thing its not by your house.My neighbors just had 2 truck loads dumped by my fence.I keep expecting to hear cows mooing:)
You'll be growing an even better crop next year!:)
By
Anonymous, at 7:13 AM
Hi 'lottie the allotment lady',
My onions were from Marshalls (see the link in the right column of my blog). I also got the squash seeds from them as well.
Anonymous - It doesn't smell too bad actually. I kind of like :)
By
Dave, at 9:22 AM
lol..You should have your own farm then and Beth can have lots of animals:)
(btw..I'm looooving the dvd...oh my heart..Its so GOOD:)..sigh:):)
By
Anonymous, at 5:18 AM
Looks like you'll be enjoying the garden harvest for some time. How do you like to cook your pumpkins? I'll add Festival to my list too - thanks for the recommendation!
By
Petunia's Gardener, at 3:36 AM
My wife makes an excellent Pumpkin Pie based on a receipe from my Californina friend :) We also have Pumpkin soup, Pumpkin Risotto and Roasted Pumpkin.
By
Dave, at 10:19 AM
Holy smokes - pumpkin-arama. I thought I had a few until I saw yours. There's something satisfying about harvesting and storing pumpkins. Well done.
By
Anonymous, at 11:55 AM
Thanks mtp! I'm a big fan of your blog btw, still can't believe the size of your Butternut Squash!
By
Dave, at 12:11 PM
Wow, you've really had a bumper harvest this year. I can't wait to follow in your footsteps!
Sarah
By
She Who Digs, at 1:40 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home