Planting Onions, Shallots, Garlic

The main job at the allotment on Saturday afternoon was to get the Onions, Shallots and Garlic planted. I dug the soil over and added some manure last weekend, so this week I just had the planting to do. I put in 2 and a half rows of White Onions (Swift) and 2 and a half rows of Red Onions (Electric). Then 2 rows of Shallots (1 row of Griselle and 1 row of Springfield) and 3 rows of Garlic (1 row of White Pearl and 2 rows of Pink Lady). They were all ordered from Marshalls Seeds. I then covered the area where they were planted with netting, which is to stop birds pulling them out of the soil or cats walking over the ground and disturbing them.
All that planting took longer than I expected, so I didn't get much else done. I did manage to strim all the grass edges and paths though - hopefully for the last time this year. I picked what I think will now be the last of the tomatoes, as the plants are very much passed it now and the remaining tomatoes have gone bad. I picked a few more courgettes - the plants are still healthy and producing more. I also pulled up an a huge amount of carrots - trying to get them all out of the ground now before they go past their best and get eaten by bugs. There are still more to pull up, but gradually getting them all out. Also picked some more Spring Onions and Spinach and probably the final Cabbage (a red one).


2 Comments:
Greetings! The squashes you posted earlier look brilliant! They are one of my favourite crops. How do you cook yours?
All the best, Mike
By
Mike, at 8:38 PM
Thanks Mike (nice blog yourself btw). I'm really pleased with the squashes, although slightly concerned at how we're going to use them all up! My wife has done a variety of things with them so far. Soup and Roasted are probably our favourite ways to use them.
By
Dave, at 11:09 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home