Dave's Allotment

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Some things dying off, others still growing

Pumpkin plants dying off

Did some more weeding at the allotment on Sunday. Things are looking in better condition than ever. Some plants are starting to slow down or die now. The French Beans have been producing a bumper crop for weeks now, but have finally started to produce a much smaller number each time I visit. The pumpkins are nearly all ripe, apart from 1 or 2 (see above) but in the last couple of weeks their plants have really started to die and now there's practically nothing left of them. It's also interesting to see how quickly the squash plants have gone from looking completely green and healthy to very much on the way out. The photos below were taken just 21 days apart (left: Sep 10th, right: Aug 20th) at exactly the same place. Quite a change in 3 weeks.

Squash Plants on 10th Sept 2006 Squash Plants on 20th Aug 2006

The salad crops however are still doing well (see below left). The lettuces are mostly bolted, not many good ones left now, but the spinach is looking better now than at any other time over the summer (must remember to sow them late in future) and there are still radishes on the way and pleanty of spring onions left in the ground. I sowed another half row each of Spinach and Rocket in the hope of keeping the salad crops going into the Autumn. The 'Ambassador' peas that I sowed exactly 2 months ago (11th July) are very nearly ready for picking (see below right).

Various salad items Peas nearly ready

The winter cabbages (planted out 3 weeks ago) are growing well and looking very healthy having survived the earlier attack of the catepillars and the second cropping potatoes (planted end of July) are looking extremely healthy (see below left) and the first few flowers have started to appear on them (see below right).

Potatoes Flower on the Potatoes

There are pleanty of all 3 squash varities (Sweet Dumpling, Festival, Butternut) ready for picking, so we're using a few per week at the moment (see Festival and Butternut squashes below left). In a few weeks time I expect all of the plants to have died off, so at that point I'll harvest all of the squashes to store in the garage over the winter. After having had several green peppers, and a couple of black ones too, there is finally one pepper that is starting to turn red (see below right).

Festival Squash and Butternuts Red Pepper

3 Comments:

  • Some nice harvests you are having there. My zucchini is giving up and some of the pole beans leaves are turning yellow. I hate to see them go, but nothing stays the same for long in the garden, does it. What will you do with your pumpkins? I have small ones that are a nice color, but the large ones still have some growing & coloring to do.

    By Blogger Petunia's Gardener, at 6:41 AM  

  • I like the look of your sweet dumpling squash, are they good for eating? I might try growing some next year.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:46 PM  

  • The sweet dumplings are ok, but the Festival squashes are much better. Fantastic flavour - I'd definitely recommend them.

    By Blogger Dave, at 11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home