Dave's Allotment

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

July

The Plot in July

July has been a busy month at the allotment. Mostly it has been constant weeding and a lot of picking as the vegetables gradually start to become ready. Above is how one of the plots currently looks, at the end of July, with the Runner Beans now producing and the Squash plants well and truly taking over and covering the soil. Plenty of Courgettes are also being picked.

Sprouting Broccoli

At the start of July I planted out Purple Sprouting Broccoli and White Sprouting Broccoli plants that were started off at home about a month before. They're inside a high net cage as the plants grow really big and tall. By the end of the month the plants had grown from how they look above when they were planted out, to how they look below.

Sprouting Broccoli


Potatoes

During July I dug up all three rows of Potatoes, 1 row at the start of the month, 1 in the middle, and 1 row at the end. Their size was progressively bigger the later I dug them, as expected. There's quite a few with the wire worm holes as always unfortunately, but generally it's a good yield.

Sweetcorn

The Sweetcorn is growing very well and the cobs have all started forming now as you can see above, with their tassles clearly displayed.

Leeks

The Leeks that were planted out last month are growing well, only a few have been lost so far, but obviously in need of some weeding soon.

Butternut Squash

The Squash plants are growing rampantly. Above are the Butternuts. Below is a Festival.

Festival Squash


Turks Turban Squash

These are Turks Turban Squashes starting to grow, and below is the biggest of the Pumpkins so far. Probably about the size of a basketball already.

Pumpkin

4 Comments:

  • Thanks for answering leek query. What are you feeding that pumpkin on?! I planted out our one, and 2 of the baby pumpkins discoloured and dropped off. Two more are on the plant hopefully they will hang on...literally!

    By Blogger Peggy, at 4:21 PM  

  • Haha thanks Peggy - I'm not feeding it on anything! (Some people give them beer apparently, but why waste perfectly good beer on a pumpkin? I'd rather drink it!)

    By Blogger Dave, at 4:30 PM  

  • Wow that is one pumpkin! I had a lot of trouble with the fruits dropping off last year, no idea what was wrong but fingers crossed it seems to be going better this year.

    The plot looks really great!

    By Blogger Amy, at 8:59 PM  

  • Thank's for the decisive answer to my squash query. That's good news.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home