Dave's Allotment

Monday, March 31, 2008

Sowing Peas

Covers on

The end of March and time to start sowing Peas (Kelvedon Wonder). The area in front of the shed has been covered in black plastic over the winter. So the first job was to remove the covers (see above) and then lightly dig and rake the soil (see below).

Soil prepared

Having prepared the soil I put up 3 rows of chicken wire, using short bamboo canes to hold them in place (see below). The canes are topped with old bottles to act as cane toppers - the clanking keeps the birds off and it also stops anyone loosing their eye on the end of a cane.

Wire fences for the peas

I then made a shallow trench each side of the fences and sowed some peas in them (see below). The fences provide excellent support for the peas to grow up.

Sowing peas

In a couple of weeks time I'll also add another row or two of peas (Hurst Green Shaft).

Area being prepared for patio

Between the shed and the peas I've just sown I have left an area that I intend to use as a small bed and a patio area. First I levelled the area where the patio will be (see above).

Patio

Next I put a wooden border at the foot of the shed to form a small bed that I will use to grow Cucumbers in later in the year. The plan is to grow them up the shed, using the shed wall and some garden wire as support. Then I started to lay some paving slabs in front of the bed to form a small area where the kids can sit and play when they visit the allotment. I still need to get some more slabs to finish the patio, the idea is to have two rows of slabs to form a big enough patio area.

4 Comments:

  • Thats all looking good. :)

    Can I ask what kind of cucumbers you're going to try growing? I grew some for the first time last year and they weren't a huge success...

    By Blogger Paul and Melanie, at 7:58 PM  

  • Last year I grew a couple of 'Burpless' cucumbers outside on my patio at home. They grew really well but I only got 1 or 2 cucumbers per plant. So this year I'm planning to grow a lot more plants in the hope that I get a decent number of cucumbers.

    By Blogger Dave, at 8:39 AM  

  • Geat to see things on the move isn't it - I like the idea of long narrow beds and am thinking of fitting a couple in on my plot. Cheers, Mike

    By Blogger Mike, at 9:39 PM  

  • Liking the chicken wire fence/support for the peas :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home