Dave's Allotment

Monday, June 02, 2008

Early June

Planting cabbages

Some of the brassicas were ready to be planted out, having been started at home in newspaper pots. So using a bulb planter, I make a small hole then just drop the plant into the hole, complete with it's newspaper pot. It makes planting them out very quick and easy. I have Red Cabbage, White Cabbage, Savoy Cabbage, Broccoli and Cauliflower. A few more of each will be planted out in a few weeks time.

Cabbage Cage

Using a bamboo cane frame (with build-a-ball joints) and a sheet of Enviromesh I then cover the brassicas to help keep off the pigeons (which regularly decimate any cabbage plant on our allotment site) and hopefully also the butterflies (which in turn lay their eggs and allow their catepillars to much holes in all the leaves).

Weeding Onions

The Onions and Shallots had become very overgrown with weeds, so I hand weeded them all. Above you can see how it looked mid-way through the weeding, before and after. Makes quite a difference.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home