Dave's Allotment

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Late June

Cabbages

The Cabbages I planted at the start of the month are growing really quickly now. I've also now planted out a few more of the various brassicas.

Leeks

The Leeks have now been planted out from the initial rows they were sown in. Each Leeks is placed in a hole (made with the handle of a rake) and just watered in.

Peas

For the past couple of weeks I have been picking absolute bags full of peas! Definitely a good years for peas this year. Podding them all takes forever, but it's worth it. The supply in the freezer will last us quite a while.

Courgette

The Courgettes are just starting to be ready for picking now. Shown above are the yellow variety I'm growing.

Pumpkin

This is the first sign of a Pumpkin starting to take shape. Tiny at the moment, but it's growing quickly already.

Squashes

The Squash plants are starting to grow quickly too, bulking up and looking very healthy. Some are already showing flowers.

Tomato Plants

The Tomato plants are all growing well and it's an on-going battle to keep pinching out the side shoots and moving the ties a little higher each week.

Plot

Here's a view of the square plot, with the Runner Beans just reaching the tops of their poles.

7 Comments:

  • Hi Dave, just read your post on the pumpkin, I have one in a pot here at home for planting out in the allotment . It has been producing flowers but I did not see anything like a pumpkin. When I saw your photo I dashed out to check and yes! I do have one that looks just like yours! Thanks

    By Blogger Peggy, at 4:37 PM  

  • Great to hear it Peggy! Sounds like you need to get it planted out soon.

    By Blogger Dave, at 4:39 PM  

  • Yes, everything is really growing now. My broccoli is just romping away at the moment. I think the secret is to get them in early enough to benefit from the long Summer days.

    By Blogger Matron, at 9:04 AM  

  • Hi Dave, looking at your leeks as we will be planting ours out soon, This may seem like a really stupid question but are the holes filled in around the leeks after planting?

    By Blogger Peggy, at 1:57 PM  

  • Peggy - no, with leeks all you done is make a hole, drop the baby leek into it, and fill the hole up with water. Don't add any soil. The water will settle the roots in. If you fill the hole with soil then there isn't enough room for the leek to grow.

    By Blogger Dave, at 8:56 AM  

  • Hi Dave,

    I'm just starting out with this Veggie lark, trying to build beds (out of my front lawn... I have a very tolerant boyfriend - thankfully). I see you use some build a ball sockets with bamboo canes, they look brill, any idea where I can get some, I want to grow some cabbages so was scratching my head on how to protect them.
    Thanks for a great read!

    By Blogger UpToMyElbows, at 11:39 AM  

  • You can buy the build-a-balls in quite a few places now. Try Lakeland or Harrod Horticulture (on the web) or even a garden center.

    By Blogger Dave, at 11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home