Planting out Squashes

Over the past couple of weeks I have planted out all of the Squashes and Pumpkins. There are 2 Pumpkins (Spellbound), 7 Butternut Squashes (Sprinter) and 18 Squash (5 Festival, 4 Futsu, 5 Uchiki Kuri and 4 Bon Bon). For each I dug a spade sized hole, filled it with manure, covered with soil and then planted the plant. A couple of handfuls of grass clippings was added around each one as a mulch. A 4-ft cane marks the position of each plant to make it easy to identify where to water them once they grow and spread out, merging into one big mass of leaves.

The Kelvedon Wonder peas are flowering and forming pods (see above) so should be ready for picking before too long.

The Potatoes have put on a lot of growth (see above) and are now merging into one huge mass of leaves.

I've now started picking Strawberrys and Raspberrys and the Strawberry plants are already sending out runners (see above) which I will shortly be training into pots ready to start a new Strawberry bed next year.

At home I've sown Purple Sprouting Broccoli into newspaper pots (see above) and left them in the plastic mini greenhouse. The seedlings are already growing fairly well.


3 Comments:
Very industrious and inspiring.
Sara from farmingfriends in Yorkshire
By
Anonymous, at 12:06 AM
Great blog really enjoyed seeing your progress. Your plot looks great.
By
Ziggywigs, at 12:46 AM
Thanks for the tip! have photos up on my blog and link to yours. great advice and photos as you have grown just about everything.
By
Peggy, at 2:08 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home