Dave's Allotment

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Sowing Peas

Peas sown

Yesterday I sowed 4 double rows of Kelvedon Wonder peas, putting chicken wire fences in place ready for support (see above). The autumn-sown Broad Beans are looking very good, with loads of flowers (see below). They'll probably start producing pods soon. There is still no sign of the spring-sown Broad Beans in the polytunnel and I'm starting to think it's not worth trying spring ones next year. The weather has been really warm and sunny, and I actually needed to water everything that is in the plot at the moment. In places the soil is rock hard with huge cracks in it, it's so dry.

Broad Beans

The Onions, Shallots and Garlic (see next two photos) are all growing incredibly well and starting to produce bulbs.

Onions and Shallots

Garlic

The Asparagus has just started to emerge through the layer of manure spread on the bed in the autumn. There are currently two spears visible, with this one below being the biggest. As this is its second year we should be able to pick a few spears for the first time in a few weeks.

Asparagus

5 Comments:

  • Hi Dave,
    Ive been checking out your blog for a while now... your lottie looks great. We only got our allotment in february and it is great to see what other people are getting up to on theirs !

    claire
    http://thegrubbywizard.blogspot.com

    By Blogger clarty, at 10:43 AM  

  • Hi Claire - Thanks very much! I've just had a look at your blog - fantastic. I will be checking it out regularly from now on. You're well ahead of me in getting so many seeds sown. I must try and catch up in the next couple of weeks.

    By Blogger Dave, at 10:52 AM  

  • Hi,

    I really enjoy reading your blog; I especially enjoyed reading your recent post ‘Parsnips and carrots’

    Would you be interested in a link exchange with my website @ http://www.Vegetable-Gardens.co.uk?

    Thanks

    By Blogger Adam Fletcher, at 9:45 AM  

  • those winter sown beans look great Dave. My spring ones have just popped through now.

    have a good year Dave
    and our blog 'the cherry tree plot' URL has changed to
    http://celticgrowers.blog.co.uk/
    bye for now
    CG

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:03 AM  

  • The first spears of asparagus to appear on the allotment are such a gourmet treat. Enjoy yours! even if it is only one or two at a time. I really like your blog, I will be visiting again!

    By Blogger Matron, at 11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home