Dave's Allotment

Monday, April 16, 2007

Potatoes and Seeds


On Saturday I planted potatoes at the allotment. I used an area that I'd manured, then dug trenches, filled the bottom with more manure, added a layer of newspaper then sprinkled grass cuttings on top (see above). The potatoes were then placed on top of this and the trenches filled back up with soil into ridges (see below). I planted 3 rows of Second Earlies and 2 rows of Maincrop (Maris Peer/Maris Piper).


At home the Tomatoes, Celery and Peppers I sowed right at the end of March are all starting to take off (see below). They're not ready for transplanting into individual pots yet, but they're looking healthy.


Over the weekend I also had a major seed sowing session, sowing everything that I plan to start off at home. The seeds were sown into individual pots or seed tray modules and placed in the two plastic mini greenhouses on the patio at home. (French Beans and Sweetcorn are in newspaper pots) I've sown the following:

Brocoli (Belstar), Cabbages (Mila Savoy, Red Rookie, Holland White), Cauliflower (Gypsy), Courgettes (Zucchini, Gold Rush Yellow), Cucumbers (Burpless), French Beans (Maxi), Pumpkin (Spellbound), Runner Bean (Enorma), Squash (Festival, Butternut Sprinter, Futsu, Uchiki Kuri, Bon Bon), Sweetcorn (Tender&Sweet)

3 Comments:

  • Greetings! I have been doing something similar to you - but not quite so many seeds. I start nearly everything off at home & into the mini greenhouse as well. Then in theory to the greenhouse at the allotment but it is missing some glass at the moment so I am getting a bit of congestion.
    Still, it feels great to be sowing for the season ahead.
    Haven't looked at your blog for a while so will spend a bit of time catching up. Liked the elaborate potato ritual! I sow mine in blocks in raised beds through groundcover.
    All the best, Mike

    By Blogger Mike, at 10:00 PM  

  • Thanks for your comment Mike. Yeah the potato thing is a bit of a ritual, but with poor soil it's the best way for me to get decent results from my spuds.

    By Blogger Dave, at 8:51 AM  

  • Quality site Dave,

    the toppers I use for the canes are Kiddies balls from B&Q, about a £5 for 50

    David (pigletwillie)

    By Blogger Evington Hilltop Adventures, at 3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home