Dave's Allotment

Monday, April 23, 2007

More Sowing

Tunnels

At the weekend I sowed a load more seeds. The two previous tunnels with the Carrots and Parsnips (just starting to germinate) were joined by a third tunnel (see above) in which I sowed more Carrots (Autumn King). I now have 6 rows of carrots in total. Next to the tunnel I sowed a row of Leeks (Titan), half a row of Beetroot (Boltardy) and Melissa sowed various other salad items including Lettuce, Radish and Spring Onions.

More peas sown

On the other plot I sowed some more Peas (Hurst Green Shaft), using Pea/Bean netting as support for the first time. There are two double rows of those (see above). The first rows of Peas that I sowed two weeks ago have germinated really well and all the rows look very good (see below).

Peas growing

I have also picked some Asparagus for the first time (see below). This is its second year, so I'm only picking a few spears - just 4 on this occasion. Hopefully it will continue to produce a few more spears and then next year have a bumper crop.

First asparagus picked

3 Comments:

  • Wow you're soil looks to be in very good condition.

    By Blogger Ziggywigs, at 9:31 PM  

  • Thanks Ziggs. It's not great, but it's ok. It's always been fairly light and sandy, so I've gradually been adding manure for the past few years to try and make it retain moisture a bit more.

    By Blogger Dave, at 8:43 AM  

  • Ooooh asparagus, I bet those from your first harvest were very tasty. It's something I'm thinking about growing, once I've got the weeds under control in the bed I have ear-marked for them.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home