Planting out Brassicas

Yesterday it was time to plant out the Brassicas that have been growing in seed tray inserts in my plastic mini-greenhouse on the patio at home. Usually I grow these under netting at the allotment, but whilst this stops them getting eaten by the birds the netting was never enough protection to keep out the butterflies and dreaded caterpillars that usually cover them in holes. So this year I'm using Enviromesh for the first time. First I built a cage from bamboo canes, using Build A Ball to connect them together, and then draped the Enviromesh over it, held down with pegs and water filled milk cartons.

Inside the cage I planted White Cabbage (Holland White) Red Cabbage (Red Rookie), Savoy Cabbage (Mila), Cauliflower (Gypsy) and Brocoli (Belstar).
I also picked some more Broad Beans and the first couple of Onions and Shallots were picked (see below).



4 Comments:
Nice idea these http://fothergills.co.uk/en/build-a-ball-5814.aspx.
I guess that cutting six holes in a tennis ball would get you the same thing.
Sofar I have been using a fleece to cover my veggies directly on the ground. This seems a better sollution though.
http://growyourownveg.blogspot.com
By
Anonymous, at 4:21 PM
What an impressive allotment you have. The cage looks great. I am fortunate enough to have guinea fowl that tend to eat the insects that like to attack brassicas, but if I didn't I would be making a cage like you.
Sara from farmingfriends in Yorkshire
By
Anonymous, at 8:55 PM
yeah but...how do you keep dogs and raccoons from tearing through the netting? sigh.
By
Kati, at 7:59 PM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
By
Kati, at 8:00 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home