Weeding

I finally got around to sorting out the Asparagus Bed at the weekend. It was very over grown with weeds, so I removed them and cut off the old Asparagus ferns that had now died off. Next I mulched the bed with a layer of manure (see above). Hopefully this year will give us our first Asparagus as it will be it's second season in the ground. Next to the raised Asparagus bed is where I'm planning to start a second Strawberry bed to double the amount of fruit we get. I have some plants, grown from runners on my other plot, ready to go in. So I dug over the ground, which has been covered with a black fabric weed membrane for a few months now, and added a load of manure. I've then covered it over again, and when I get a chance I will plant the new strawberry plants through holes in the fabric, and build a fruit net over it.


4 Comments:
Good Luck with the asparagus - I am going to try and grow it this year.
By
Lozza, at 6:45 PM
I have been out in the last couple of days and mulched my asparagus too! Apparently established crowns can last up to 20 years. Do you happen to know if it suffers from being transplanted? I have an errant crown in the flower bed which I would like to transfer to the allotment. Will it survive?
By
Matron, at 7:24 AM
This approaching season (2007) will be my third year of having asparagus growing. Frankly, nothing much happened in the second year, certainly didn't get a crop as such, although the shoots were stronger and denser.
I adore asparagus and can't imagine a reason not to eat it at every meal - what the hell - or on it's own as a snack. I started trying to produce my own to lessen my guilty feelings about scoffing stuff grown in Peru and flown all this way.
Matron? It should survive and flourish.
By
Anonymous, at 6:05 PM
I'm going to plant and asparagus bed this year so it's really interesting to see how you've got on with it. It's a big investment though isn't it - two years before the first crop is real patience!
http://organicallotment.typepad.com
By
Anonymous, at 9:13 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home