A few thoughts
Just a quick post. Not had time for any serious allotmenting last weekend or this coming weekend. However, last friday I picked the first row of peas, which was better than I expected. Peas are definitely a much lower yield this year though. Hopefully the latest ones I planted will make up for it. Also picked the Broad Beans which have been a complete disappointment this year - hardly any. Strawberrys continue to be picked, but only a couple at a time (to be expected after moving them over the winter). The Raspberrys are starting to do well, although they desperately need weeding and tying into some supporting wires. Courgettes are starting to form, but too small to pick yet. The Carrots have come through, and although they're covered in fleece I need a better way of covering them. Thankfully I bought some tunnels from Lidl's for £1.99 each, so I can use the hoops from those to better support the fleece covering the rows of Carrots.
Note to self: Start French Beans at home in seed trays next year. Never get enough of them from direct sowing. Also, when sowing Parsnips - sow LOTS of them, complete rows instead of spaced out. Germination has been non-existant so far this year, but hoping they might still make a late apperance.
Note to self: Start French Beans at home in seed trays next year. Never get enough of them from direct sowing. Also, when sowing Parsnips - sow LOTS of them, complete rows instead of spaced out. Germination has been non-existant so far this year, but hoping they might still make a late apperance.


2 Comments:
Beans and peas are best grown straight into the soil. They do not transplant well.
By
Anonymous, at 8:08 PM
I agree with you about peas - I would always direct-sow them into the soil. But my Runner Beans ALWAYS grow better when I start them off in seed trays and transplant them. They grow so much quicker that way than direct-sown. I'm going to give it a try with French Beans next year since they never do that well when I sow them into the soil.
By
Dave, at 9:13 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home