Dave's Allotment

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Major sowing time

Plastic Greenhouse Plastic Greenhouse

Over the past few days I've sowed a whole load of seeds and put them in my mini plastic greenhouse on the patio at home (see above). I have sown Runner Beans (Enorma), Brocoli (Volta), Savoy Cabbage (Mila), Cabbage (Puma), Red Cabbage (Red Rookie), Courgettes (Zucchini, Gold Rush and Clarita), Pumpkins (Spellbound), Butternut Squash (Sprinter), Squash (Festival, Sweet Dumpling), Cucumber and Sweetcorn (Xtra Sweet Improved). These are all in either small pots or seed tray inserts in the green house. Once they get big enough I'll plant them out on the allotment.

Tomato Seedlings

The tomatoes that I sowed at the end of March are now looking very good and starting to form their second set of leaves. As you can see from the photo above, the red cherry tomatoes (Gardeners Delight) on the left had a much higher germination rate than the yellow cherries (Mirabelle) on the right. These seedlings are nearly ready now to be put into slightly larger pots before they eventually make it into either grow bags on the patio or out onto the allotment.

Chillis, Peppers and AuberginesThe Aubergene, Sweet Peppers and Chilli Peppers that I sowed in mid-March are also doing very well (see right) and are growing quite happily in pots on a window sill. There are about 3 or 4 plants of each. When they're a bit bigger I'll move them out to the plastic greenhouse (if I can find any space in it!) to harden off. Eventually they will be transplanted into bigger tubs on the patio. Since it's a south facing garden I'm hoping they'll grow quite nicely out there.

Over the coming weekend I'm hoping to sow some more peas, plus carrots and leeks directly into the allotment.

3 Comments:

  • Wow! that is a load! Good thing you have the new plot too.

    By Blogger Petunia's Gardener, at 5:33 AM  

  • I love those mini-greenhouses. I have 2 - a 4-tier one outside full of hardening-off plants, and a smaller one in my conservatory to house newly sown seedlings.

    By Blogger Judith, at 5:16 PM  

  • Hi Petunia - yeah you're right, it is a good job I have two plots now! We're actually thinking of having the second plot almost entirely for squash and pumpkins!

    That's a great idea having two mini-greenhouses Judith - I'm starting to think I could do with a second one as I still need somewhere to harden off my tomato plants soon.

    By Blogger Dave, at 10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home