Dave's Allotment

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Asparagus

Asparagus planted in trenchesLast night I planted my Asparagus crowns into the raised bed I built specifically for them. I ordered 10 Gijnlim crowns from Asparagus-In-Kent but didn't really know what to expect. They're very weird looking things, loads of long thick roots and a tiny crown at the top - like some kind of alien octopus (the picture below left shows them in the box). I dug two trenches in the bed and put 5 in each. You arrange them on slightly raised ridges at the bottom of the trench with the roots spread either side (see above right), and then fill the trench back in. The only frustrating thing is that you're not supposed to cut any Asparagus in the first year. Hopefully the long wait will be worthwhile.
Asparagus crowns in their box The Asparagus bed

2 Comments:

  • I planted a small asparagus bed last year so I am very hopeful for a few spears this year. The foliage is very pretty as well, so at least you can enjoy that.

    By Blogger Judith, at 3:24 PM  

  • We had our first really good crop from our asparagus last year - it felt like a luxury every time we picked it. I was a bit unsure of how much to harvest before that but last year just kept on going and it was brilliant!
    The work you have put in now will be well worth it in a year or two when the asparagus just appears each year with hardly any further effort!

    By Blogger Mike, at 6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home