First dig on the new plot

I only had a short time available to go to the allotment last weekend, but I made a start on digging and manuring the new plot. After raking off the few weeds that were on the surface, I forked it over to break it up a bit because it is very compacted soil. There are hardly any roots under the surface, so it shouldn't be too much of a difficult task. Then I spread several barrow loads of manure over the surface, as you can see in the above photo. It'll take a fair few sessions, but I'll gradually get the whole of the new plot done in this way.


11 Comments:
Hi Dave,
I've added your blog onto my links and am very envious of your manure, it looks much better than mine. Never thought I'd say that to anyone.
Frankie.
By
Frankie , at 12:22 PM
Hi Dave,
I too am envious of your manure! I'm enjoying your hard work and wishing I had the time to do as much at my own plot. You seem to be very organised and productive.
Cheers,
Clare
By
Anonymous, at 6:51 PM
Excellent manure & a very interesting blog - I'm looking forward to following your progress.
All the best, Mike
By
Mike, at 8:30 PM
Great blog-What part of the UK is your lottie?
By
Anonymous, at 7:50 AM
Hi Guys - thanks for commenting!
Jean - I'm in Southampton.
I was pretty pleased with the manure. I asked one of the 'old boys' on the allotment where to get it from, they gave me the name of a local farm, and hey presto a couple of trailer loads of great looking muck!
I've just been trying to go down to the allotment once a week for a couple of hours - and doing that through the autumn/winter has allowed me to get on top of things this year.
Anyway - hope you guys will keep visiting - it's great to hear your comments.
By
Dave, at 9:48 AM
Good work fella...Just about finishing up digging my 9 1/2 rod plot when all this bad weather forced me to take it easy (sigh)
Have put you on my links mate.
www.digforvictory.blogspot.com
By
Greenmantle, at 11:22 AM
Thanks greenmantle - I've added you to mine in return.
By
Dave, at 11:37 AM
Just found your blog and will be following your progress over the summer to compare notes!
You are very well organised and that black gold delivered already rotted - lucky you.
Was it free too?
By
Unknown, at 10:43 PM
Dave, I can't believe how much manure you have. I was very lucky to inherit a site with a pile of manure right in the middle of it. (That was almost a year ago now bless her http://www.mytinyplot.co.uk/?p=2). Since then I have been busy using the manure and I just used it up this weekend. So now I'm on the look out for a friendly farmer :)
By
Anonymous, at 4:45 PM
Allotment Lady - unfortunately it wasn't free, but it did only cost £30 including delivery - which I thought was pretty good considering how much I got.
MTP - Just try what I did, ask some of the old timers where to get some muck. They're bound to know.
Thanks for the comments, it's so nice to have people interested in my plots!
By
Dave, at 12:03 PM
I took my new plots on in june/july last year and had 3 deliveries all piled on the smaller plot.
pile was 13ft by 22ft, and 3 1/2ft high. took 3 of us to shift it in a day to the plot from the gate.
Enjoy the blog and have linked, if you don't mind.
best of luck for the coming season
CG
By
Anonymous, at 8:50 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home